That's the sound of me bouncing off on a tangent.
I worked pretty faithfully on M's sweater all weekend until yesterday afternoon when I mentioned needing to try it on her to find the correct place for the empire waist.
M: "What empire waist? I thought you were making me a plain boy's cardigan."
Me: "No, I'm making you that purple sweater I showed you with the empire waist and the cables around the bottom. You said you liked it!"
M: "I don't know what you are talking about. I said I wanted a big, cozy plain cardigan. Nothing fancy."
Me: (stunned silence)
We retired to the computer room where I once again showed her the Dahlia pattern. She grudgingly admitted it looked familiar, but strenuously denied ever approving it. When I pointed out that I had four good days of knitting on it, she conceded that I should just finish it. But...
...she requested it be a cardigan (easy enough - I'll steek it)
...she requested it have long sleeves (um, okay, I should have enough yarn)
...she requested I omit the picot neckline (yeah, yeah, I can make it plain)
...she requested demanded that I get rid of the cabled bottom and just knit it stockinette down to a ribbed hem (sigh)
So now I am just knitting plain old stockinette, round and round for miles, with no lovely cables to look forward to. My enthusiasm for the project has plunged and it has been downgraded from want-to knitting to have-to knitting.
I had to go and see a baby at the hospital this morning, but then I had the rest of the day off. M's sweater got chucked to the side and I went on a craft room rummage for something fun. I ended up dragging out my big inkle loom which has had an unfinished warp on it since March. Resolved to get it done, I turned on satellite radio and settled down on the couch. A couple hours later, I was done!
I finished with 25" of the pick-up pattern and then I wove an 8" plain band to use up the rest of the warp.
The pick-up band is for a hat. I haven't sewn it on yet, but you can see how it will look.
I sewed the little band into a cuff.
I wasn't sure how to finish the ends, so I tried some bias tape and then sewed on a couple of snaps. I think I could make it neater with more practice, but it isn't bad. I can imagine making more of these for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews.
Back to work tomorrow. I will take the boring sweater with me and try to motor onward. The sooner I finish it, the sooner I can knit something fun!