Last year, I tried knitting Shalom, a pattern I swiped right out of Sarah's Ravelry queue. I thought it was a super cute sweater, but knitting it taught me two things:
1) It is sized super-small
2) Knitting the endless 1x1 rib of the yoke is boooooring.
I gave the tiny Shalom to my niece and tried again. I held 2 strands of DK together and used bigger needles and then I chose some knit-purl stitch patterns for the yoke. It resulted in a nice purple sweater that I still wear a lot.
Not too long ago, I had a message on Ravelry asking me for pattern details. I don't mind sharing, it's just that I had nothing to share. My purple sweater resulted from major "winging it" and I didn't write anything down.
Once my Christmas knitting was done, I decided to go back and make another Shalom and take some notes this time.
(I want to stress that this is NOT an original pattern, just me taking an existing pattern and making some changes. If you want a sweater like mine, you need to start with the Shalom patten and then follow me off the path.)
For this sweater, I used size 10 needles and Paton's SWS yarn. I used about 4.75 balls of Natural Russet for the sweater, with less than one ball of Natural Wood for the neck band and bottom edge.I cast on 85 stitches and worked 5 ridges of garter stitch in the Natural Wood, putting in the buttonhole as the pattern directs. I did the first increase row on the wrong side, the last row of garter stitch. There are three increase rows altogether and I worked them as written, disregarding the stitch counts from the pattern. Between the decrease rows, I worked 3" of 3 different knit and purl patterns.
Pattern 1: 3 rows stockinette, 1 row k1 p1 across. Repeat these 4 rows, ending with 2
Pattern 2: K2 p 2 for two rows, then p2 k2 for 2 rows. Repeat these 4 rows to make checkerboard pattern.
Rows 1 and 3: *k3, p1, k1, p1, k1. Repeat from * across.
Row 2: P3, K3 across
Rows 4 and 8: P across
Rows 5 and 7: *p1, k1, p1, k3. Repeat from * across.
After the 3" of pattern 3, I worked 2 ridges of garter stitch, then worked bind off row as written. I did not increase the # of stitches bound off or cast on as I thought the armholes on my original sweater were two big. That meant I counted the total number of stitches I had, subtracted the bind off stitches, and then worked 25% of that total for each front and 50% for the back. For me, that meant knit 29, cast off 46, knit 61, cast off 46, knit 29.
Now I worked the body back and forth in stockinette, keeping 5 edge stitches on each side in garter stitch. I also worked the cast on stitches under the arm in garter stitch for 2-3 rows to make an edging that wouldn't roll.I worked straight until I reached my waist, then I worked double increases at each side every twelve rows until the body was 13" from the armholes. 6 garter ridges in Natural Wood and I bound off loosely. Wove in a couple of ends, sewed on one button, and I was done!
This version is smaller than the purple one, but I like the fit. This is destined to be worn often - good for layering, nice enough for work, comfortable and not TOO warm.
There has been weaving and spinning going on - stay tuned.