Meet Miranda's Newsboy Cap!
Not bad for less than 24 hours - much of which was spent doing other stuff.
I am fairly certain DD will love this. Eldest daughter pronounced it "so cute" AND mentioned she might enjoy one of her own. It was so easy to knit that I won't mind making another. Or a few.
It's the brim that really makes the hat. The designer is so clever! You knit the hat, then you knit a little brim pocket on one side of the cast on. The brim gets its shape from a little crescent of plastic mesh.
You slip it into the pocket and then sew the pocket shut.
So cool! I love it when things work like they are supposed to. This pattern is so good that my mods = ZERO - very uncharacteristic for me. When I added this to my Ravelry page, I noted that mine is # 430. Not Monkey socks or Clapotis, but pretty dang popular.
The pattern is in Stitch and Bitch Nation and I used some yarn that was kicking around in my stash: Trendsetter Yarns Tonalita in the Sunset colorway. It's 52% wool and 48% acrylic, so it is nice and soft and shouldn't itch. The pattern calls for 200 yards of yarn, but I bet I only used about 125 or so. Good stashbuster project, especially since I'm famous for only buying 2 balls of whatever yarn calls to me.
In other news, I got a present today! Kim sent me a massive skein of some Briar Rose Yarn to thank me for knitting squares for her charity afghan. (You can see the afghan here)
That is 600 yards of sportweight superwash merino! This yarn is much softer than the yarn we used for the afghan. A girl can do a lot with 600 yards of sportweight - I will have to ponder. Meanwhile, back to the secret knitting! My parents arrive Friday for the big graduation and I won't have as much time to knit. Or blog, for that matter, but you guys are getting used to that.